Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mission Statement

Hi buddy,

You are very small and we've not yet met but I've seen you and felt you inside that person's belly in which you've been living on a number of occasions over the last six months  I'm the louder of the two voices you hear most often and the one who is generally responsible for that softer voice's warm, hearty laugh that you can't help but hear and feel (hopefully on a regular basis!). Even though we've not yet met, I love you to the extent that words cannot possibly describe. 

I am your father and I can't wait to meet you.
 

You've been growing inside your wonderful mother for almost half a year and it'll be another quarter of a year before we get to meet but you are all that your mom and I can think about. We saw you all nestled up inside your mom's belly the other day and you looked cozy, comfortable and happy. That situation is one that your mom and I will work hard for the rest of our lives to ensure continues though the world can be a scary and dark place. 

It can even be scary for someone as old as your parents. 

Although we don't really talk about it, both your mother and I have a tiny fear that something will happen and that, in the worst case scenario, we will not get to meet you or that something will happen and that you will experience a harder life than we want for you. Someday, you may not be able to read this or understand it when read to you for one reason or another. Regardless of what happens, we will always love you; especially if your life is harder than most or even if we never get to meet you. We love you and that will never change. 

Part of loving you as much as we do means that I have no plans or aspirations for you. 

I want you to be happy and healthy. I want you to be whoever it is that you'll become. It's hard not to think about your forthcoming appearance in the real world: what will you be like? Who will you look like? What things will drive you? It's easy for me to admit that I'd like you to grow up to be a Liverpool supporter, watching soccer with me every weekend morning, that you'll get as excited about the Patriots as your mother, that you'll be smart, kind and have a sense of humor like your sometimes deranged parents. But, truthfully, I just want you to be you with no ifs, ands or buts. 

You are so little but you are the biggest thing that has ever happened to your mother and I.

We hope that we are worthy of the challenge and deserving of your presence in our lives. We have a wonderful support base in your grandparents, your aunt, uncles, beautiful cousins and great grandparents and they love you (almost as much as your mother and I do!) and can't wait for your arrival. There is no doubt that you will always feel loved and that your mom and I will always do what's best for you. However, growing up is something that one can only do on their own so I'm compiling my thoughts from now until you can read in the hopes that they provide a road map for you. Not so that you become just like me but so that you become better than me.

Love always,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment