Thursday, December 20, 2012

What's in a name?

Dear Scooter Baby,

Now that we got all the serious stuff out of the way, we'll move onto lighter fare. For starters, you may be wondering why this blog is addressed to "Scooter Baby". By the time you are able read this, at least 50% of your grandparents may be calling you "Scooter" despite that not being your name. Your mother and I apologize in advance and you are deserving of an explanation. 

Your mother and I have traditionally steered away from those typical terms of endearment for each other like "baby" or "sweetie" and instead have opted for our own oftentimes bizarre nicknames. One of these is "Scooter" of which I will explain the origin:

Years ago, I took to calling your mother "My little biscuit" after which she started calling me "My special Triscuit" (yes, after the snack cracker). Somehow biscuit and Triscuit became "Miscuit" for reasons that scientists are still trying to understand. After Miscuit caught on, a misspelling of the new term of endearment as "Miscuti" lead to "Scuti" being the new term of affection. This inevitably lead to "Scooter". 

Now, how does this affect you? Well, your mom and I have opted not to name you until we meet you in person. We have some ideas but ultimately decided that we'd pick a name once you make your first appearance as we feel we'll know which name will best fit. We started out calling you "Baby" but, after we received an ultrasound photo of you  when you were about the size of a pencil eraser head with the description "Baby, six weeks", we took to calling you "Little Baby Six Weeks". We found this highly amusing as it sounded like a child's toy doll and the name stuck for awhile. 


Once you started to resemble an actual human inside your mom's belly and the reality sunk in that WE WERE HAVING A BABY, we needed a more "serious" name for you, especially considering you were no longer six weeks old. Since your mom and I had been calling each other Scooter for years, you naturally became "Scooter Baby". It is highly likely that Grandpa or Nana will still occasionally call you Scooter. Again, our apologies in advance. 

This evolution in naming should clear up the title of the blog as well as confirm your suspicions that your parents are, in fact, crazy. But I hope it also shows that it's okay to be silly no matter how old you are. Life will throw challenges and sadness your way on a regular basis so always remember to be silly and laugh whenever possible. Your mom and I will experience challenges and sadness as well but we hope that we will always be able to cheer you up with our laughter and that we will be cheered up, in turn, by the laughter of our Scooter Baby.

Love, 
Scooter Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment