Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Can water bend, not break?

Dear Scooter Baby,

We had our first (and hopefully last) mock delivery yesterday when Mom thought that her water had broke. Erring on the side of caution (and your safety), the doctor advised us to go to the hospital so we sprang into action. I raced (while obeying traffic laws) to Mom's work to collect her where her wonderful friend, Bree had her ready and waiting. We then raced (obeying most traffic laws) to your hospital, parked and then ran to the Admitting department. Well, more accurately, Mom waddled and I limped to the Admitting department but we made good time.

Note to Grandma, Nana and Mom: I was NOT driving like nor will I ever drive like Matthew Crawley
Once in the Admitting department, we checked in and then I got Mom settled in a chair while I went to find much needed relief in a nearby restroom. When I returned, Mom was gone! Resisting urges to immediately call the police, I sat down assuming that your mother was just using the restroom. When ten minutes had passed, I started frantically calling her phone with no response. I was just about to head down to the Labor and Delivery department to search for her when she popped out of an Admitting clerk's room to flag me down. I was most relieved though, when thinking rationally, it is very unlikely that Mom would disappear without telling me where she had gone let alone deliver you in the ten minute span she was "missing". First time father here. 

I left her in this chair for three minutes. What could possibly have gone wrong?
After being admitted, we waddle-limped down to the Labor and Delivery department to check in there. After making it through the security doors, we waited at the desk while a nurse had a personal conversation on the phone for several minutes and I started to lose my temper. Once Chatty McNurse finished her conversation she told us we were at the wrong desk so I sheepishly decided not to be unkind to her. We finally found the correct desk and checked in with a very kindly nurse.

Never pick a fight with an unknown opponent. Chatty McNurse might have been packing.
As it turned out, the nurse was a fellow Jeffersonian and lives about two minutes away from us so we chatted about Holden/Jefferson while Mom put on the piece of paper towel that doubled as a hospital gown. The nurse then hooked Mom up to a machine where we could hear your heartbeat and movements while we waited for the doctor. I must be rubbing off on your mother because her blood pressure was high from nerves (if they took mine I probably would have been clinically deceased) but she was still glowing despite her hospital garb and electrodes hanging off her. We were both very excited to listen to your heartbeat for the next twenty minutes. 

Mom's hospital gown
When the doctor came we saw that it was not Mom's doctor but this doctor was just as lovely. She talked with Mom for a bit and then checked your mother's private parts to see if, in fact, her water had broke. Unfortunately, it had not. Mom and I were very sad because we are so eager to meet you but, as I told Mom, this whole experience is like knowing that we are going to win the lottery but just not knowing when. You, of course, are the grand prize! 

WINNER! Draw your prize!
It was a good experience to know that we are ready to go once you are finally ready and we now know for certain all the things we need to do at the hospital. We were pretty sure we knew what to expect leading up to delivery but this dry run just confirmed what we did know and what we needed to know. Tomorrow will be one week until your due date. It's so hard to believe that we're no longer talking months or weeks but DAYS! You can, of course, interfere with Mom's and my tax appointment on Friday or Uncle PJ's and my fantasy baseball draft on Sunday but if you can see your way around our schedule then we'll all be very grateful. In all seriousness, it doesn't matter what else is going on in our lives as whatever day you arrive will be the greatest day of your mother's and my lives.

Love, 
Desperately Seeking Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment