Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Meet the family: Uncle Pat

Hi son o' mine,

Your Uncle Pat is the family member introduction du jour. Uncle Pat was born on November 28th, 1986 (but we will usually give him his birthday present at Christmas because we are lazy like him to get a bunch of presents at once) in Northampton, Massachusetts at the same hospital in which I was born. He now lives in Mattapan, Massachusetts outside of Boston and works as a Clinical Research Assistant for Brigham and Women's Hospital. Uncle Pat has the same genetic Dempsey humor mutation that Great Grandpa, Papa and I have which causes uncontrollable laughter about things in which a sane person would find little to no humor. And, you will find this hard to believe when you're young if you're lucky enough to have siblings but your uncle is one of your dad's best friends (your mother, of course, is number one!). 
Uncle Pat performing Dean Martin favorites at one of his many charity galas
I am 4 and 1/2 years older than your uncle so we did not always see eye to eye growing up. Uncle Pat will tell you that I was always the instigator but, if you do have siblings, you will understand as an older brother that your uncle is a filthy, filthy liar. Despite our squabbles, I was ecstatic to have a baby brother when I was 4 and 1/2 and that feeling has never changed. We still don't see eye to eye all the time but Uncle Pat is a wonderful brother and friend to both your mother and I. He is always willing to help us out with housework or turn a boring weekend day into a laugh fest. Your uncle is a kind, loyal and generous person with a warm smile that can't help but brighten your day.

I said in an earlier entry that I had no expectations or wishes for you other than that you be happy and whoever it is that you are meant to be but I might need to amend that slightly as there is no way you will make it through life without liking Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Batman if your uncle and I have anything to say about it. Or perhaps I should say that there is no way you will understand your Uncle Pat and I unless you make a careful study of these things. Chances are good that we will give you plenty of chances to familiarize yourself with Indy and the gang while you laugh at how old your uncle and father must be if they are talking about movies that are over 30 years old.  
Spoiler alert: Your Uncle Pat is Indiana Jones
Your uncle is very much looking forward to meeting you. I can already see him taking you to Celtics' games and to the movies. I can see him babysitting when your mother and I have a night out. And I can see that if he is half as good an uncle as he is a brother then you will have a great relationship with Uncle Pat and you will have another watchful guardian in this world who will celebrate your successes or pick you up when you fall. 

Love always,
Your Papa's youngest son's brother

No comments:

Post a Comment