Today I thought it would be fun to give you a glimpse into your mother's and my favorite things at this very moment as well as those favorite things of ours when we were younger and much younger. This should serve to explain why it may appear from time to time that your mother and I are forcing you to like strange things. You will inevitably compile countless such lists over the course of your life (even if only in your mind) and one of life's simple joys is seeing the ways in which your likes and dislikes have changed.
Mom
Favorite food as a child: Roberto’s Pizza
Favorite drink as a child: SpriteFavorite book as a child: The Story of Poppyseed by Barbi Sargent or Get Well, Clown- arounds! by Joanna Cole
Favorite TV show as a child: TGIF, specifically Full House
<Editor Dad's note: TGIF means "Thank goodness it's Friday" and was two hours of family sitcoms on ABC when Mom and I were growing up>
Favorite movie as a child: Adventures in Babysitting
Favorite song as a child: "I Wanna Dance with
Somebody" by Whitney Houston
<Editor Mom's note: I used to dance so hard to this that my Fisher-Price record player would skip>
Favorite food as an adolescent: Meatloaf
Favorite drink as an adolescent: Coca-Cola
Favorite book as an adolescent: Don’t Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel
Favorite TV show an adolescent: 90210
Favorite movie an adolescent: Grease or Dirty Dancing
<Editor Mom's note: I used to dance so hard to this that my Fisher-Price record player would skip>
![]() |
| Mom's caption for this photo: "I don't like this photo. I look poverty stricken" |
Favorite drink as an adolescent: Coca-Cola
Favorite book as an adolescent: Don’t Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel
Favorite TV show an adolescent: 90210
Favorite movie an adolescent: Grease or Dirty Dancing
<Editor Mom's note: I was allowed to watch Dirty Dancing far too young!>
Favorite song an adolescent: "Under the Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Favorite song an adolescent: "Under the Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
<Editor Mom's note: Not sure about favorite, but it was the first
cassingle (also known as a cassette single) I got and it was from Uncle PJ>
Favorite drink right this minute: Ginger Ale
Favorite book right this minute: A Song of Ice and Fire series or the Hunger Games series
Favorite TV show right this minute: Walking Dead or Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, New York and New Jersey
Favorite movie right this minute: Harry Potter anthology
Favorite book right this minute: A Song of Ice and Fire series or the Hunger Games series
Favorite TV show right this minute: Walking Dead or Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, New York and New Jersey
Favorite movie right this minute: Harry Potter anthology
Dad
Favorite food as a child: Sherry-Dempsey shepherd's pie
<Editor Dad's note: browned hamburger, mushroom soup and mashed potatoes. Delish!>
Favorite drink as a child: Lemonade from concentrate
Favorite book as a child: Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Favorite TV show as a child: 3-2-1 Contact
Favorite movie as a child: Disney's Robin Hood
Favorite song as a child: "Bye lo baby" sung by Nana
![]() |
| The author, strangling his newborn brother |
Favorite drink as an adolescent: Mountain Dew
Favorite book as an adolescent: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Favorite TV show an adolescent: The Simpsons
Favorite movie an adolescent: The original Star Wars trilogy
Favorite song an adolescent: "A Sort of Homecoming" by U2
<Editor Dad's note: This song was from U2's The Unforgettable Fire album which was the first album I ever owned. Still one of my favorites>
![]() |
| The author with Winston Churchill (aka Uncle Pat) |
Favorite drink right this minute: Coke Zero
Favorite book right this minute: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Favorite TV show right this minute: Dual Survival
Favorite movie right this minute: The Dark Knight Rises
Favorite song right this minute: "Everything in its right place" by Radiohead
We hope this gives you some insight into who your parents are and who we were but, of course, our favorite thing in this world will always be you.
Love now and then,
Mom and Dad
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment